Uncomfortable Body language to avoid
Make sure yo avoid this uncomfortable body language as it will have many adverse effects of your interpersonal communication. To begin with, people don’t enjoy chatting with uncomfortable people. Secondly, there are a lot of similarities between uncomfortable body language and lying body language, so if you appear uncomfortable people may also (wrongly) thing you are dishonest. Just by getting rid of this uncomfortable body language you will significantly improve your image and your social skills.
- Don’t fold your legs when standing
- Don’t fidget with your feet
- Don’t bite your nails
- Hold your hands at your side and relaxed when standing
- Don’t blink too much
- Don’t cover your chest with anything, including folded arms, a handbag or anything else
- Do not dart your eyes around the place erratically
- If sitting, if you feel the need to fold your legs make sure you hold your legs in front of you and in view, not behind a chair
- Keep objects out of your mouth
- Keep your hands away from your face
- Uncomfortable body language cont’d
- Don’t chew on anything, including your lip, gum and other objects
- Don’t duck your head down into your neck
- Gesture with your hands when speaking
- Don’t fidget with your phone
- Keep your hands away from your neck area
- Stand tall with your belly button and feet pointing towards the person you’re talking to
- Look at the person you’re talking to
- Keep your voice from getting too high
How many of these uncomfortable body language gestures are you guilty of using? Strike them out and you’ll be amazed how big a difference it makes!>
- Nervous Body Language
- Men don’t touch one another. Women touch each other all the time as they feel very close to one another and are used to expressing emotions, but men generally only touch one another when shaking hands. If you see two guys touching at other times it likely means they are either together or that something very serious has happened (for instance, a guy might hug a friend if his friend has lost a family member).
- Most men are simply not as expressive as women. This isn’t because they don’t want to be or because they think it’s not cool to show emotions, it’s really just a simple evolutionary fact: men have evolved to hide their emotions. That doesn’t mean they don’t feel emotions though, it just means they don’t show them as much as women.
- The above rule doesn’t apply to all men, however. Anyone who’s met me or other artistic types will attest for how expressive we are (having been an actor for many years the expressiveness I show on stage naturally bleeds over into real life and the same is true for others in artistic fields). Still, most men are not expressive, and that means that any time they do show a clear emotion, they’re almost certainly experiencing that emotion very strongly.
- Any time a man does show emotion, he will likely try and cover it up soon after. For instance, one thing a shy guy might do is to flash his eyebrows at a girl he likes, then suddenly look the other way or cover a part of his face with a hand in order to hide his emotions.
- Touch either his mouth, nose or an eye
- Fold his arms over his chest
- Look away
- Tighten his smile (his lips will appear narrower)
- Busy himself with his phone
- Take a sip from his drink (this in done in order to hide his face behind the glass).
- Pretend to be taking something from his pockets (this is in order to hide the hands, which are one of the most expressive parts of the body)
- Taking up space as though he were a gorilla. Confident men will occupy space comfortably, whereas an “alpha male wannabe” will intentionally try and fill as much space as they can, to the point of looking comical.
- He holds his chin up to an unnatural degree. Holding the chin up is a sign of confidence, but holding it too high indicates arrogance, and holding it even higher still simply shows that a man is trying to act like he’s “all that”
- Holds his hands behind his back: This is one of the alpha male body language gestures started by people who actually have no clue about body language. The idea is that holding your hands behind your back is a sign of confidence. Unfortunately, this is wrong. Holding your hands behind your back is actually a sign of arrogance and is pompous. Either way, if a guy is walking around with his hands held behind his back, he’s trying hard to look like he’s above everyone else or, worse, he genuinely believes it. This is also a closed off sigh which suggests the man making it does not which to be approached.
- Sitting or standing with your back to a wall: I’m not even sure how this one got started, but the idea is that standing or sitting with your back to the wall is a sign of being alpha. It’s not. Putting your back to a wall is actually a sign of defensiveness (he’s making sure no one can approach from behind him). A truly confident person doesn’t mind being right in the middle of a room where everyone can see him and where he can be approached from any angle.
- Women touch each other a lot more than men do, which perhaps is less than surprising given that female friends are far closer and share far more of themselves emotionally than male friends do.
- Women have much more expressive faces. They smile more, but they also show more anger, sadness, joy, love and all other emotions.
- Women (and particularly business women) often stand with both hands on their hips in what body language specialists call a “ready” position. Though this position can look moody to a guy, women mostly use it to create an image of power that puts them on a level pegging with men when in the boardroom.
- Women show more body language across the board than men. They will use their hands more while talking, show more emotion in their face, touch more, use more variation in voice and so on. They are simply more expressive than the average guy.
Want to know if you are showing nervous body language? Simply check yourself for the following body language nervous gestures.
Discover the body language of necks.
This positive body language makeover will make you look calm, confident, composed, trustworthy and friendly.
We’ve given away literally thousands of body language tips here on Arolemodel.com. Cutting them down to the ten best is no easy task, but in my personal experience, these are the ten best body language tips that you can use right now
Our Hands our are greatest tools, but by learning to master the body language of hands they’ll be your biggest communications weapon too!
How to Use the Language of Arms to Understand People and Get What you Want
There’s a new body language decoder app on the market, but can an app really cover the complexity of body language?
Discover the body language of legs to learn to read a person’s thoughts, intentions and feelings. We reveal the secrets you need to know.
Learn to use the body language of smiles, one of the greatest communication tools you’ll ever own
Crossed legs body language: are they nervous? Shielding? or do they just want the toilet?
Discover the meaning of standing with hands on your hips, a great body language stance for women in business.
What is body language? How do you read body language? Why is it important? ARoleModel reveals the answers
What is the meaning in body language of touching hair? Find out here.
Marilyn Monroe is the ultimate celebrity for a body language example of the little-girl come-on women use to wrap men around their little finger.
Being able to correctly read body language is a skill that can empower you to realise the full potential of your personal and professional life. Discover how to do it here.
How do you know whether they really love you? Discover the truth by reading the secrets of the body language of love
We men are so weird! Why can’t we just say what we mean and show our feelings as clearly as women? Urgghhhh. . . if only there were some body language guy to reveal the important signs of male body language. . . oh. . . wait. . .
Ways in which Male Body language is different to Female Body Language
Male body language when hiding emotions
When a man shows a clear emotion, he might feel silly or weak for doing so and try to cover it up. He will cover it up in the following ways:
“Alpha” Male: How insecure men try to act dominant
A lot of men at the moment seem obsessed with the idea of “alpha males.” They want to act like they’re above other guys. Urgghhhh. . . If you see a guy doing the following things, he’s trying to act alpha as opposed to being himself (which is what he would be if he were genuinely confident)
If you see a man doing the above things, he is trying very hard to be an alpha male. In other words, he doesn’t have the confidence to simply be himself. This is the kind of guy who will be more interested in talking to you in clichéd lines that they’ve read in a book or online than they are in actually being honest and genuine with you.
Leaders: save money time and stress by discovering these three body language secrets
Learn to read dog body language to feel closer to your dog
Need to know how a guy feels about you? Discover the truth of his feelings with this “Does he like me” body language guide
Each of us have a unique and beautiful smile, but there are five archetypal types of smile that are regularly seen throughout the world. By understanding these five types of smile, you gain a valuable insight into exactly what someone is thinking and feeling, which can go a long way towards improving your communication skills.
Women. . . contrary to popular belief, they’re not that confusing. Here are some of the key ways in which female body language is different from male body language.
This last point brings us to a mistake a great many men make with women.
Though a woman will be more likely to show her emotion, she may not be much more emotional than the average guy. Imagine a man and a woman facing each other, the man showing a very subtle smile, the woman a more obvious one. Many people would think the woman to be happier than the man, whereas in actual fact they feel the same way, only where the female’s body language clearly expresses her emotion, the man’s hides his.
Women and their Possessions
A lot of women like to play with their possessions. Here are a few pointers on interpreting female body language with objects.
Tapping on a phone: A woman busying herself with a phone could mean a few things. Obviously, she might have a message. But it’s actually more likely she’s either a) bored or b) nervous.
Slipping her foot in and out of her shoe: A classic sign that a woman is aroused. Women simulate sex by slipping their shoes on and off. And most likely, the person her foot is point to is the one she is interested in.
Carrying her handbag in front: If a woman carries a handbag in front of her body she is creating a barrier between herself and the outside world. She is doing this to subconsciously create protection as she is feeling insecure.
Holding a cigarette to expose the wrist: If a woman is interested in a man she will smoke in a way that clearly exposes her wrists. This is a submissive signal used to attract men.
Leaving handbag near someone: A handbag is a very person thing to a woman. She will only leave it next to a person she either feels close to or is attracted to.
New to Body Language? These ten very popular body language gestures will serve as an excellent introduction to one of the most important part of communication.
Find out the meaning of raised eyebrow body language here
Discover the secrets of body language in touching arms when flirting and when asking for something